Pre-engineered Building and Conventional Steel Buildings for industrial construction due to its fast construction. Following is the Comparison of Pre-engineered Building and Conventional Steel Buildings for steel structures, which shows advantages of pre-engineered buildings over conventional buildings.
What are Pre-engineered Steel Buildings?
Pre-engineered steel buildings are manufactured using steel built-up sections which are designed and fabricated in the factory and assembled at the site of construction using bolted connections.
What are the Conventional Steel Buildings?
Conventional steel buildings using traditional metal structures constructed by rolled steel sections which are designed individually and fabricated at the site using cutting and welding.
The Comparison between Pre-engineered Building and Conventional Steel Buildings
Pre-engineered Steel Buildings
- Design : Design of Pre-engineered buildings (PEB) is well organized due to its integral framing system.
- Computer Software: Computer programs are available for the design of PEB. Design, drawings, detailing, estimation, etc. it can be generated within no time using this software.
- Structure Weight: Structural Members used are reduce built-up sections and are 10 to 20% lighter than conventional buildings.
- Foundations: Since the structural weight is low, Lightweight foundation with very simple design is enough.
- Delivery Speed: Pre Engineered building will fast delivery. It takes 5 to 7 weeks to construct 500 MT pre-engineered building after finalization of design.
- Cost of Construction: Price per square feet is 30% less than the cost of conventional building.
- Seismic Resistance: These buildings offer excellent resistance against seismic actions or earth quack since it is made of Lightweight flexible members.
- Architecture: Very impressive architectural options are available at low costs.
- Future Expansion of Building: easy to expand the pre-engineered building because of its simple connection design.
- Performance: Maximum efficiency can be achieved since all the components are designed specially to act together as a system.
- Responsibility: Only one supplier took the responsibility of complete project which is good for minimizing construction risks.
Conventional Steel Buildings
- Design: if Design of conventional buildings takes more time and it offers fewer precision design aids.
- Foundations: Heavy structural weight makes it very difficult to design the foundation. Foundation must be very heavy enough to carry the loads.
- Delivery Speed: It takes 20 to 26 weeks to construct 500 MT conventional building after finalization of design
- Cost of Construction: Price per square meter is very much higher.
- Seismic Resistance: These cannot withstand against seismic forces because of their rigid heavy frames.
- Architecture: More research and time is needed. Cost also will increase.
- Future Expansion of Building: It needs a heavy budget and also difficult to expand the building.
- Performance: Components are designed individually and hence there is no guarantee about the performance of the structure.
- Responsibility: Multiple suppliers took the responsibilities and issues like insufficient materials, different quality components etc. may arise.